DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - The course at the Embry-Riddle Invitational was challenging. "Soft sand and steep hill at the start, rolling hills throughout the course," was the description for the coaches manual. Add the 80 degrees and heavy humidity at the morning racetime and the third meet of the year was probably the toughest.
With the difficulty of the course and a flu bug circulating the team (causing the Women's team to only run 3 team members), a step back in performance could be expected. Not with an Ocky Clark coached team. Hillary Kandie ran his fastest 8K race of the year, 27:13.01. Not to be out done, Sara Kopack ran her fastest 5k of the year as well (22:51.8), finishing 56th on the women's side (out of 124 runners). Kandie finished 9th overall and first for the NJCAA Division. Yassin Raffay (28:27.0) also recorded a top 30 (out of 114 runners) finish, second in the NJCAA Division.
Jaina Hawkins finished 62nd overall (23:12.63) and Fancy Cheruyot finished 87th (25:08.30).
The teams travel to Gainesville next Saturday (September 22) for the Mountain Dew Invitational hosted by the University of Florida.
- Coach Ocky Clark is in his first year as Head Coach of the Cross Country program for Seminole State College
- To donate to the Cross Country team or Raider Athletics go to: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- There are both advertising and rental opportunities at the Seminole State Raider facilities, for more information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The overall athletic department GPA during 2017-18 was 3.04
- The 2018 Softball team finished 52-15 and has won 105 games over the last two years
- Coach Courtney Miller won her 1,000 game during the 2018 season
- Seminole State is hosting the NJCAA Region 8 Softball Tournament, May 2-5, 2019
- Seminole State Golf has finished in the top 3 in the Nation for the last 6 years including 2nd in 2018
- The 2018 Baseball team finished 24-26 including a 17-12 record at home
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com