MELBOURNE, Florida - (Courtesy of EFSC website) - The Eastern Florida State College baseball team dropped the home opener to Seminole State College 5-4 in 10 innings in front of over 300 fans Tuesday night at Bruce Bochy Field.
Freshman Carter Stewart made his Titans debut and pitched four solid innings, striking out seven and allowed two earned runs on two hits. The right-hander gave up two runs in the top of the first inning but finished with a strike them out, throw them out double play. After that he retired the next eight hitters he faced.
The Titans took the lead in the bottom of the fourth inning as Collier Rutledge walked to lead off the inning, stole second and scored on Clayton Stanley's single. They would keep the lead until the top of the eighth inning when an error led to two runs for Seminole State College. But the Titans weren't done and tied the game 4-4 in the bottom of the ninth inning when Steven Lugo reached on an error, Alvaro Valdez singled and Gabriel Vera bunted them to second and third, bringing up Stanley. Stanley hit a two-strike pitch into the outfield for a sac fly to tie the game but teh Titans couldn't find the game winner.
In the top of the 10th inning, Seminole State scored on a sacrifice fly to once again take the lead. The Titans would load the bases in the bottom of the 10th inning but Vera's shot to left field was caught to end the game.
Silva went 3-for-5 while Vadez finished 2-for-5 for the Titans.
The Titans (2-2) will travel to Seminole State College Wednesday afternoon for a 2 p.m. game. Eastern Florida State College will be back at Bruce Bochy Field Monday evening against the State College of Florida Manatee-Sarasota. First pitch is 5 p.m. and admission is free.
Kelyn Fox (1-0) gets the win for Seminole State.
- Baseball Team Photos may be purchased here: https://www.prosportsvisuals.com/galleries/baseball/seminole-state-college/
- Limited concessions will be available at all home games. Athletics will be selling Pepsi products and candy, trail mix and crackers. All items will be $2. The Department is searching for a full time concessions partner.
- To donate to Raider Athletics go to: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- There are both advertising and rental opportunities at the Seminole State Raider facilities, for more information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The overall athletic department GPA during the Fall 2018 semester was 3.07
- The 2018 Baseball team finished 24-26 including a 17-12 record at home
About the Seminole State Raiders: The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I.
Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com