SANFORD, Florida - The Seminole State College Baseball Team moved to 5-0 on Saturday with a 9-3 victory over Indian River State College. How did this team get to 5-0? The answer is in the question...TEAM.
The pitching is stronger than recent history. Remove a very bad 9th inning on Friday and the Raiders haven't allowed more than two runs in any other inning all season. Kelyn Fox is 2-0, Haden Erbe (1-0) is dominating in his two starts and new Raiders are all contributing (50 strikeouts and staff ERA of 2.93).
The defense has 8 errors over 45 innings. Those errors are far less than their opponents have committed and three came on the road at Eastern Florida State.
SSC has certainly improved on the offensive side as well. Kobe Barnum (.389), Joe Sostre (.333), Tim Dixon (.350) and Justin Holmes (.333) are all feasting on early season pitching. Stats enthusiasts can review all the offensive (and pitching) numbers:
At this point over the last two years, the Raiders were 2-3 (2017) and 1-4 (2108). As Sophomore Slugger Joe Sostre shouted to his team in the dugout during the home opener, "This is a new team...and a new year."
Seminole State will now host Polk State College on Monday for a scheduled 2 p.m. start. The game is scheduled to be streamed through www.seminolestateraiders.com
- Baseball Photos may be purchased here: https://www.prosportsvisuals.com/galleries/baseball/seminole-state-college/
- Limited concessions will be available at all home games. Athletics will be selling Pepsi products and candy, trail mix and crackers. All items will be $2. The Department is searching for a full time concessions partner.
- To donate to Raider Athletics go to: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- There are both advertising and rental opportunities at the Seminole State Raider facilities, for more information send an email to email@example.com
- The overall athletic department GPA during the Fall 2018 semester was 3.07
- The 2018 Baseball team finished 24-26 including a 17-12 record at home
About the Seminole State Raiders: The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I.
Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, firstname.lastname@example.org