SANFORD, Florida - On a day when the #17 nationally ranked Raiders (24-10, 3-1 MFC) defense was not at its best, SSC managed to pull out a split against the #9 ranked Central Florida Patriots 7-6 and 6-11. The defense, which was ranked #1 in the Nation, committed 6 errors in the 2 games. Both games were back and forth, with big innings leading to the wins.
In the first game, the Patriots (28-8, 5-1 MFC) jumped out to an early 3-0 lead against starting pitcher Marissa Adame. Seminole State took the lead in the bottom of the 5th, when they plated 5 runs. With 2 outs, Payton Germer and Amy Lee reached on singles and a walk to Taylor Langworthy loaded the bases for Chelsea Peace. The Patriots pitcher hit Peace to bring in one run and cut the lead to 3-1. A wild pitch brought in Lee from third. After a walk to Kelsi Smith to load the bases again, Haley Hinz drove a ball deep off the centerfield fence to clear the bases and put the Raiders up 5-3. Gabi LoPresti entered the game on the mound in the top of the 5th and kept the Patriots offense in check. In the 6th, an infield error put the lead-off on for the Patriots and the next batter followed with a double to put runners at second and third with no outs. Lopresti got the next hitter to strike out looking. A sacrifice foul fly ball scored the runner at third, but the ball got away from Peace and the runner at second was thrown out at the plate trying to score, keeping the Raiders up 5-4.
Adame reentered the game in the top of the 7th, but the Patriots took a 6-5 lead on a 2-run home run. The Raiders came up for their final at bat and lead-off Amy Lee drew a walk. She advanced to second on a wild pitch. After a strikeout, Chelsea Peace came up to the plate and with a full count on her, drove a pitch deep over the left field fence for a 2-run walk-off home run.
Adame got the win. She pitched five innings, allowing five runs on 10 hits and striking out four. LoPresti went two innings, allowing one run on one hit and two strikeouts. The offense only managed six hits. Lee and Peace had two each; Hinz and Peyton Germer had the others.
The second game started off about the same, as the Patriots jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the second. SSC scored a run in the bottom of the second on an RBI single by Chloe French. In the bottom of the fourth, the Raiders score 4 runs and take a 6-2 lead. Seminole only had 2 hits in the inning, including a 2-run RBI single by Kelsi Smith. The Patriots defense hit two batters and walked one; then committed a costly throwing error that allowed two more runs to score. Starting pitcher Sam Guider got into trouble in the top of the 5th, giving up three singles and a run to start the inning. Leading 6-3, Gabi LoPresti came off the bench to try to get the Raiders out of the inning. After getting 2 quick outs, the Patriots caught fire and had six hits and two walks to plate seven runs in the inning and go ahead 9-6. CF would add two more runs in the later innings for a final score of 11-6.
The offense only managed four hits: Peace, Smith, French, and Germer each had a single. SSC did have seven walks and two hit batters, but left 7 runners on base. LoPresti (6-4) took the loss, as she gave up four runs on three hits in 2/3 innings. Jenae Fedewa pitched the final 2.1 innings, allowing two runs on three hits. Starter Guider gave up five runs on eight hits in four innings of work.
- Softball Team Photos may be purchased here: https://www.prosportsvisuals.com/galleries/softball/seminole-state-college-118/
- Admission for regular season games is $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). Season Tickets are $30. All can be purchased at the gate.
- Limited concessions will be available at all home games. Athletics will be selling Pepsi products and candy, trail mix and crackers. All items will be $2. The Department is searching for a full time concessions partner.
- To support the softball program through a donation follow this link: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- Coach Miller won her 1,000 career game on March 17, 2018
- The 2018 team finished 52-15 (including 22-2 at home) and has won 105 games over the previous two seasons
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament May 2-5, 2019 at Boombah Soldiers Creek
- There are opportunities to sponsor or rent Seminole State Raider facilities and/or the Athletics motorcoach, for information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Seminole State Raiders: The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I.
Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com