DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - The Seminole State Women's Golf Team won the NJCAA National Championship on Thursday, besting second place Daytona State College by 23 strokes. The title is the second for Women's Golf (2015) and fourth overall for Raider Athletics (Men's Tennis, 1982, 1983). Unlike the 2015 title, the Raiders also had the individual National Champion, Tai Anudit. The Sophomore from Thailand carded a three round total of 213 (-3), eight strokes ahead of Kiana Oshiro of Western Texas.
The other four SSC golfers also earned All-American Status (top 18). Sophia Warren was tied for fourth, Alex Giles finished seventh, Maria Cowan placed 10th and Sam Brimhall was tied for 14th. Brimhall and Anudit were All-Americans both their Freshman and Sophomore campaigns.
Seminole was the low team all three rounds, but mid-way through the third it looked as if Daytona had closed the gap. Sam, Maria and Sophia all had challenging front nines. Sam parred the final 10 holes, Maria finished birdie, birdie and the Raiders slammed the door shut.
"When Maria hit her final birdie, I knew we had won. We hugged and I cried," said National Coach of the Year, Christa Teno.
Early Thursday at Mid-Florida Conference Athletic Director meetings, Tai Anudit was named MFC Female Athlete of the Year. Just more hardware for one of the most decorated Student-Athletes in the history of Raider Athletics.
- To support the golf team go to: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- The overall athletic department GPA during 2017-18 was 3.04
- The 2018-19 Returns three All-Americans (Tai, Karn and Sam)
- Seminole State Golf has finished in the top 3 in the Nation every year since 2009
- Both 2018 graduates, Erica Chiang (Baylor) and Alex Naumovski (Coastal Carolina) are playing at four-year programs
- Coach Christa Teno was named LPGA Coach of the Year (2018) and inducted into the NJCAA Golf Hall of Fame (May 2017)
- For sponsorship information, please email Kurt Esser, email@example.com
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/. Fans can follow the Raider Women's Golf team on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SeminoleStateWomensGolf/).
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, firstname.lastname@example.org