SANFORD, Florida - Coach Courtney Miller is 22 wins from 1,000 (or 23 if you don't count last Sunday's first game), but she is way more interested in the here and now. Well, today was pretty good day for the Raiders. SSC did not give up a run against a tough team from Hillsborough.
Game 1 SSC 9 HCC 0 ( 5 innings)
The Raiders (11-2) scored in every inning against HCC (7-7) in a 9-0 five inning shut-out. Kyra Gipson ran her record to 4-1 as she pitched 4
innings, allowing only a lead-off single. She struck out 6 of the 13 batters she faced. Tatiana Rodriguez pitched a scoreless top of the 5th to secure the shut-out. The offense was led by Chelsea Peace, who was 3-3 with two doubles and 2 RBI’s. Haley Hinz also had multiple hits going 2-3 with an RBI. Kelsi Smith (pictured right, 1-2, RBI), Aimee Oglesby (1-3, 2B, 2 RBI’s), Breanna LaClair (1-1, 2 runs) and Taylor Langworthy ( 1-2, 3B, RBI) all had hits in the game.
Game 2 SSC 5 HCC 0
In another outstanding pitching performance, Kiana East (pictured left, 4-1) threw the second shut-out of the day, as she went the distance in the 5-0 win. East scattered 4 hits and struck out 4. SSC scored in the bottom of the first after Chelsea Peace, who was hit by a pitch, scored on a double by Kelsi Smith. The Raiders had a great opportunity in the bottom of the second, when they loaded the bases with nobody out, but only an infield error by HCC allowed one run to cross the plate. Holding on to a 2-0 lead, the bottom of the 6th saw the team put a 3 spot on the board, highlighted by Payton Germer’s 2-run homer. Haley Hinz had knocked in the first run of the inning on a triple to rightcenter. The Raiders only had 4 hits in the game, but they were all timely and drove in runs.
SSC will host South Florida State College at Boombah Soldiers Creek on Tuesday at 4 and 6 p.m. before traveling to Naples on Friday for a 3 p.m. doubleheader with SouthWestern Florida.
- Admission for regular season games is $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). Season Tickets are $30. All can be purchased at the gate.
- To support the softball program through a donation follow this link: http://app.eteamsponsor.com/ETS/supportUs/45511532
- The Jazzy Dog Cafe will be providing concessions this season
- The 2017 team finished 53-11 and Champions of the Mid-Florida Conference
- Coach Courtney Miller will begin the Spring campaign 33 wins short of 1,000
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament, May 3-6, 2018
- There are opportunities to sponsor or rent Seminole State Raider facilities, for information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State currently sponsors five sports all members of the NJCAA. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. Kurt Esser is the current Athletic Director.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/. Fans can follow the Raider Softball team on twitter (@SeminoleStateSB) and facebook (https://www.facebook.com/seminolestatesoftball).
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com