LAKELAND, Florida - First-year Head Coach Ocky Clark seems like a very laid-back person. His military back ground has given him a calm outward demeanor. But he has a competitive streak in him. He wants to win. Until last Saturday's meet, Clark had no idea how his team would compete. Practice times are one thing and running past one's personal pain threshold is another. After the first meet of the season, Clark now knows the team(s) he has assembled in year one of the program's return.
The short handed men (currently only three runners, five are needed to tabulate a team score) performed well, placing fourth (Yassin Raffay), fifth (Hillary Kandie) and 50th (Amari Douglas). These results are more impressive when broken out by NJCAA and NAIA Division (non-NCAA Division II). Raffay (below, left) finished first, Kandie (below, right) wearing spikes that were a size too small finished second and Douglas finished 34th.
The women did field a full team and finished seventh out of eight NJCAA & NAIA teams (non-NCAA Division II). Sara Kopack was the top Raider and finished 23rd, Jaina Hawkins was 24th, Fancy Cheruyot was 34th, Abby Orlando 41st and Jaimee Leduc 45th.
"I was pleased with our results and the we fielded a full women's team," said Coach Clark. "We have to get better and it would be nice to add a couple of guys (to the men's team) Overall it was not a bad day." For a program that was just started 3 months ago, not a bad day at all.
Seminole State won't wait long to see if it can get better. The Raiders travel on Friday to Jacksonville for the University of North Florida Invitational.
- Coach Ocky Clark is in his first year as Head Coach of the Cross Country program for Seminole State College
- To donate to the Cross Country team or Raider Athletics go to: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- There are both advertising and rental opportunities at the Seminole State Raider facilities, for more information send an email to email@example.com
- The overall athletic department GPA during 2017-18 was 3.04
- The 2018 Softball team finished 52-15 and has won 105 games over the last two years
- Coach Courtney Miller won her 1,000 game during the 2018 season
- Seminole State is hosting the NJCAA Region 8 Softball Tournament, May 2-5, 2019
- Seminole State Golf has finished in the top 3 in the Nation for the last 6 years including 2nd in 2018
- The 2018 Baseball team finished 24-26 including a 17-12 record at home
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, firstname.lastname@example.org