SANFORD, Florida - The Seminole State Athletics Department has once again teamed up with the Read to Succeed/QEP program, Intramurals and the Library to host the 3nd annual "Raiders are Readers" program. The Raiders are Readers week is 5 days of programming dedicated to promoting reading through sports media and participation!
The week will consist of art exhibitions, movies, panel discussions, an Amazing Race, a Faculty/Staff Softball Game and for the first time a 3k fun run walk and roll.
Here is a full list of the activities:
- Wellness in a fast paced World panel - Monday, November 5th (12:45 – 1:45, Altamonte Springs campus, ALTA0221) – Come enjoy this open Q & A panel with some of our community’s leaders in health and wellness. How to stay on track when time doesn’t permit. Nutrition, sleep and preventative stretching/exercise tips. The panel will include: Cynthia Pike, MS, RD, LDN, CNSC, Registered Dietitian and Nutrition Professor at Seminole State College Marisa Brunett, Vice-President, District IX Director National Athletic Trainers’ Association and Director of Public Relations for Nirvana Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation Clinics and Nirvana Health Services
- Mindfulness Panel - Tuesday, November 6th (12:15 to 1:15 p.m. Sanford/Lake Mary Campus, SC 185) - Using your brain to relax, recreate and recharge. What tips do you use or would you like to know about starting your workout, unwinding after a challenging day or gearing up for a big task. The panel will include: Doreen Collins-McHugh, Ed.D., L.M.H.C., Professor of Psychology at Seminole State College Dr. Robert McGraw, Program Manager, Bachelor of Health Science
- 2nd Annual Faculty/Staff Softball Game - Wednesday, November 7th (4 p.m.) – Raider Softball Field. Participants are encouraged to bring a book to donate. Faculty and staff can sign up here: https://portal.seminolestate.edu/signMeUp/dashboard
- The Amazing Race - Thursday, November 8th (11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.) – Start will be at the E. Ann McGee Student Center - A combination of American Ninja and the Amazing Race: obstacle courses, academic skills, speed, and athletic ability. All participants receive a free book. Fastest team wins Grand Prize.
- Raider 3k Fun Run, Walk & Roll - Friday, November 9th (11:45 a.m.) – Participants are encouraged to bring a book to donate. The start/finish line will be near parking lot/patio of the E. Ann McGee Student Center. Faculty and staff can sign up here: https://portal.seminolestate.edu/signMeUp/dashboard
- To donate to Raider Athletics go to: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- There are both advertising and rental opportunities at the Seminole State Raider facilities, for more information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The overall athletic department GPA during 2017-18 was 3.04
- The 2018 Softball team finished 52-15 and has won 105 games over the last two years
- Coach Courtney Miller won her 1,000 game during the 2018 season
- Seminole State is hosting the NJCAA Region 8 Softball Tournament, May 2-5, 2019
- Seminole State Golf has finished in the top 3 in the Nation for the last 6 years including 2nd in 2018
- The 2018 Baseball team finished 24-26 including a 17-12 record at home
About the Seminole State Raiders: The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I.
Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com