SANFORD, Florida - Seminole State Softball (3-2) hosted Eastern Florida State College (3-3) on Friday and earned a split. SSC won the first game 4-1 and dropped the second game 6-5 in 9 innings.
Marissa Adame (1-1) picked up the win. She gave up 1 run on 9 hits. Sam Guider got her first save of the season, pitching the final two innings, and striking out 3 of the 7 batters she faced. The offense was led by Taylor Langworthy ( 2-3, 2B, 3B RB), and Kelsi Smith who hit a homerun and drove in 2 runs.
In game 2, the Raiders had 10 hits, but left 10 runners on base. SSC fell behind 5-1 but in the bottom of the 5th staged a 4-run rally led by Haley HInz bases clearing double that tied the game at 5. Scoreless after 7, the tie-breaker went in effect, as each team started with a runner at 2B. The defense held the Titans in the top of the 8th. With a runner at 3B and one out, the Raiders runner got caught off base on a hard hit to the third and was out in a rundown, spoiling the opportunity for the Raiders.
The Titans scored their run on a single up the middle in the top of the 9th to take the 6-5 lead. With the Raiders heart of the line-up at the plate, it looked like they would have a chance to tie the game, but after 2 infield outs, a deep fly ball to center ended the game. Guider, who came in relief of starter Gabi LoPresti took the loss. She gave up 1 run on 2 hits in 5 innings. LoPresti allowed 5 runs on 8 hits. The offense was led by Haley Hinz ( 2-4, 2B, 3 RBI) and Taylor Langworthy ( 2-5).
Samantha Guider was selected as the Qdoba Player of the Day. The Raiders game at Palm Beach State on Saturday is cancelled due to a deluge of rain over the last several days.
- Softball Team Photos may be purchased here: https://www.prosportsvisuals.com/galleries/softball/seminole-state-college-118/
- Admission for regular season games is $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). Season Tickets are $30. All can be purchased at the gate.
- Limited concessions will be available at all home games. Athletics will be selling Pepsi products and candy, trail mix and crackers. All items will be $2. The Department is searching for a full time concessions partner.
- To support the softball program through a donation follow this link: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- Coach Miller won her 1,000 career game on March 17, 2018
- The 2018 team finished 52-15 (including 22-2 at home) and has won 105 games over the previous two seasons
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament May 2-5, 2019 at Boombah Soldiers Creek
- There are opportunities to sponsor or rent Seminole State Raider facilities and/or the Athletics motorcoach, for information send an email to email@example.com
About the Seminole State Raiders: The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I.
Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, firstname.lastname@example.org