COLUMBUS, Georgia - The Raiders (21-9) wrapped up a successful NFCA/NJCAA Classic over the weekend, going 4-1 overall. On the final day of play they defeated #9 D2 Lansing College (MI) 8-4 and Navarro College (TX) 10-4. Seminole lost to #1 rank Division 2 Jones College (MS) 7-0. Sophomore shortstop Taylor Langworthy was name to the All-Tournament team. SSC will open up conference play on Tuesday hosting Lake Sumter State College at 2:30.
Lansing Game Recap:
The Raiders built and early lead of 3-1 heading into the 4th inning, and then batted around, as they put 5 runs on the board to take a commanding 8-1 lead. Lansing (5-9) closed the gap to 8-4, scoring 3 runs in the bottom of the 5th, but that was as close as they would get. Gabi LoPresti (6-3) picked up the win on the mound. She went 5 innings and gave up 4 runs on 7 hits, striking out 3. Marissa Adame pitched the final 6 outs, allowing only a single hit, while striking out two.
The offense was led by Taylor Langworthy who was 3-3 with a homerun and 3 RBI’s. Kelsi Smith (2-2, 2 RBI’s) and Chloe French ( 2-4, RBI) had multiple hits in the 11 hit performance by the Raiders.
Jones Game Recap:
The offense was stymied by the Jones (14-2) pitchers and defense, as they only managed 5 hits in the 0-7 loss. The game was scoreless until the 4th, when Jones scored 4 runs. They added single more runs on the 6th and 7th innings. Samantha Guider (3-3) took the loss (3.1 IP, 8 hits, 5 runs, 4 K’s). Gabi LoPresti came in relief and went 3.2 innings, allowing three hits and two runs. Haley Hinz had 2 of the 5 hits, while Chelsea Peace, Kelsi Smith, and Amy Lee each had one.
Navarro Game Recap:
The Raiders bounced back in a big way after the Jones defeat and pounded out 12 hits in the 10-4 win over Navarro (13-10). The Bulldogs jumped out to a 4-0 lead after the first, but the Raiders put 3 runs on the board in the 2nd and 3rd innings and never relinquished the lead. Four Raiders had multiple hits, including Payton Germer who was 2-3 with a double and homerun, driving in 3 runs. Taylor Langworthy (2-4, 2B, 4 RBI’s), Bree LaClair (2-2, 2B, RBI) and Kelsi Smith (3-3, RBI) led the offense. Marissa Adame (9-3) pitched a complete game. She scattered seven hits and struck out seven.
- Softball Team Photos may be purchased here: https://www.prosportsvisuals.com/galleries/softball/seminole-state-college-118/
- Admission for regular season games is $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). Season Tickets are $30. All can be purchased at the gate.
- Limited concessions will be available at all home games. Athletics will be selling Pepsi products and candy, trail mix and crackers. All items will be $2. The Department is searching for a full time concessions partner.
- To support the softball program through a donation follow this link: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- Coach Miller won her 1,000 career game on March 17, 2018
- The 2018 team finished 52-15 (including 22-2 at home) and has won 105 games over the previous two seasons
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament May 2-5, 2019 at Boombah Soldiers Creek
- There are opportunities to sponsor or rent Seminole State Raider facilities and/or the Athletics motorcoach, for information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Seminole State Raiders: The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I.
Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com