SANFORD, Florida - The Raiders (23-9, 2-0 MFC) opened up conference play with a doubleheader sweep of Lake Sumter State College (19-17, 0-4) on Tuesday afternoon.
In the game 1, the Raiders got on the board early as they plated 4 runs in their first at bat. Taylor Langworthy led off with a single and after back-to-back walks loaded the bases, Haley Hinz drove in the first run with a single to left. Chloe French followed with a two RBI single to center putting the team up 3-0. With a runner at third, Bre LaClair put down a suicide squeeze to score another run. The next inning saw the Raiders blow open the game with three more runs. Langworthy started the inning with a solo home run to left field. Chelsea Peace then hit a double and Kelsi Smith singled to put runners at second and third. One batter later, French hit a double to right center driving in both runs and making the score 7-0.
The Lakers scored their only run in the top of the 5th. With one out, Marissa Adame walked two consecutive batters. A passed ball allowed the runners to move up a base and a single to left brought home both runners to cut the lead to 7-2. The Raiders got one of the runs back their next at bat. After a lead-off walk to Peace, pinch runner McKenzee Flowers stole second base and scored on French’s single to center. It was her 5th RBI of the game.
Adame (10-3) had a season high 8 strikeouts and only allowed 2 runs on 5 hits.
The offense was led by French (3-4, 2B, 5 RBI’s), Peace (1-1, 2B, 3 walks) and Langworthy (2-4, HR, RBI).
The second game was a pitchers duel, as both teams struggled to hit the ball. The Lakers got on the board first in the top of the 5th against SSC starting pitcher Sam Guider. With one out, the Lakers hit three singles in a row to load the bases. After a strikeout, LSSC hit a single up the middle scoring one run. The back runner was thrown out at the plate by a bullet from center fielder Amy Lee. The Raiders answered back in their half of the inning. Jada Cruz led off and was hit by a pitch. Pinch runner Indya Bevins stole second and advanced to third by a sacrifice bunt by Payton Germer. Michelle Decker then tied the game with a squeeze bunt, scoring Bivens from third base.
In the bottom of the 8th, Chelsea Peace led off with a double to left center. She was replaced by pinch runner Flowers, who moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Kelsi Smith. Haley Hinz ended the game with a 1-2 hit up the middle, scoring Flowers and sending the team to the 2-1 victory.
Guider ( 4-3) allowed 1 run on 7 hits and struck out 6. The offensive leaders were: Langworthy (2-3) and Hinz ( 2-4, RBI).
- Softball Team Photos may be purchased here: https://www.prosportsvisuals.com/galleries/softball/seminole-state-college-118/
- Admission for regular season games is $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). Season Tickets are $30. All can be purchased at the gate.
- Limited concessions will be available at all home games. Athletics will be selling Pepsi products and candy, trail mix and crackers. All items will be $2. The Department is searching for a full time concessions partner.
- To support the softball program through a donation follow this link: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- Coach Miller won her 1,000 career game on March 17, 2018
- The 2018 team finished 52-15 (including 22-2 at home) and has won 105 games over the previous two seasons
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament May 2-5, 2019 at Boombah Soldiers Creek
- There are opportunities to sponsor or rent Seminole State Raider facilities and/or the Athletics motorcoach, for information send an email to email@example.com
About the Seminole State Raiders: The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I.
Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, firstname.lastname@example.org