MELBOURNE, Florida - During the final round of the Women's Panther Invitational, the wind began to howl. With the course a mere 5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, the wind was definitely affecting play. Instead of looking at this obstacle as an excuse, the Seminole State Golf team took everything in stride and continued to grind towards a second place. Florida Tech was the team champion and is currently ranked #10 in NCAA Division II. Barry University finished 10 strokes behind the Raiders and is currently the #2 NCAA Division II team.
Leading SSC was Alex Giles, who won her second college tournament in the last 6 weeks. Giles shot 74, 68, 73 for a 215 (-1) total. Tai Anudit was close behind, finishing third with a 218 (+2) total. Maria Cowan (228), Nicole Stewart (232) and Sophia Warren (236) all contributed to the finish. Sam Brimhall, competing as an individual finished tied for third with Anudit. Brimhall also carded a 218.
"Alex thrived in that (wind) environment," noted Coach Christa Teno. "I think that was due in part to where she's from and grew up playing courses that are shaped by the wind."
Next up for the Raiders is the NJCAA Regional Tournament, April 27 and 28 at the Rockledge Country Club.
- To support the golf team go to: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- The overall athletic department GPA during 2017-18 was 3.04
- The 2018-19 Returns three All-Americans (Tai, Karn and Sam)
- Seminole State Golf has finished in the top 3 in the Nation every year since 2009
- Both 2018 graduates, Erica Chiang (Baylor) and Alex Naumovski (Coastal Carolina) are playing at four-year programs
- Coach Christa Teno was named LPGA Coach of the Year (2018) and inducted into the NJCAA Golf Hall of Fame (May 2017)
- For sponsorship information, please email Kurt Esser, firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/. Fans can follow the Raider Women's Golf team on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SeminoleStateWomensGolf/).
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com