SANFORD, Florida - In one of the most dominating performances of the season, the Raiders (44-14) swept Florida State College of Jacksonville (18-26) on Thursday afternoon 13-0 and 6-0. The wins gave the Raiders a berth in the FCSAA State Softball Tournament to be held in May.
Samantha Guider (14-4) and Gabi LoPresti combined for a 2 hit 5 inning shut-out in game 1. Guider went 4 innings and allowed 1 hit and struck out 3. LoPresti finished the final innings, giving up 1 hit and striking out 1. The Raiders scored a run in the first on a solo homerun by Chelsea Peace, but the big inning for the Raiders was the 3rd, as they put 11 runs on the board. Taylor Langworthy, Peace and Kelsi Smith each hit a homerun in the inning, with Smith’s being a grandslam. The Raiders sent 16 batters to the plate during the inning. The offense was led by: Peace (2-2, 2 HR’s, 4 RBI’s), Haley Hinz (2-3, 2B), Chloe French (2-3), Langworthy (1-2, HR, 2 RBI’s), Smith (1-1, GSHR, 4 RBI’s 3 BB’s) and LoPresti (1-2, 2 RBI’s). Peace leads the NJCAA with 24 home runs.
In the second game, Marissa Adame threw a complete game 1-hit shut-out. The only hit allowed was a lead-off single to start the game for FSCJ. Adame struck out 7 of the BlueWave batters. Chloe French had the hot bat, as she drove in 5 of the Raider’s 6 runs in the game. French hit a 2-out double in the first inning to drive in the first 2 runs. In the top of the third, Taylor Langworthy led off with a double and Chelsea Peace followed with a walk. After Kelsi Smith moved up the runners with a sacrifice bunt, Haley Hinz drove in a run on a fielders choice to second base. French then hit a 3-run home run over the left center fence to put the Raiders up 6-0. The Raiders only had 6 hits in the game, but many were clutch hits, that drove in runs.
The wins means that Seminole is the #2 qualifier from the Mid-Florida Conference and will play in at 4 p.m. on Thursday, May 2nd in the FCSAA Tournament. SSC's opponent will be the #1 NJCAA Team, the Florida SouthWestern Buccaneers (52-1).
The team will be in action this week, Friday at home vs. St. Pete and Saturday on the road at Hillsborough.
- Softball Photos may be purchased here: https://www.prosportsvisuals.com/galleries/softball/seminole-state-college-118/
- Admission for regular season games is $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). Season Tickets are $30. All can be purchased at the gate.
- Limited concessions will be available at all home games. Athletics will be selling Pepsi products and candy, trail mix and crackers. All items will be $2. The Department is searching for a full time concessions partner.
- To support the softball program through a donation follow this link: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- Coach Miller won her 1,000 career game on March 17, 2018
- The 2018 team finished 52-15 (including 22-2 at home) and has won 105 games over the previous two seasons
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament May 2-5, 2019 at Boombah Soldiers Creek
- There are opportunities to sponsor or rent Seminole State Raider facilities and/or the Athletics motorcoach, for information send an email to email@example.com
About the Seminole State Raiders: The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I.
Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, firstname.lastname@example.org