SANFORD, Florida - Asking Coach Courtney Miller this time of year how the season might go, the answer is rarely positive. Team #25 (Miller's 25th edition since arriving at Seminole State) returns 8 Sophomores including offensive power from the likes of Chelsea Peace (3rd in the NJCAA in homeruns in 2017 and FCSAA Player of the Year), Kelsi Smith, Payton Germer, and Haley Hinz. Coach Miller's concern is on defense and in youthful pitching. Taylor Langworthy will get the nod at Shortstop after spending the 2018 season in the outfield. Gabi Lopresti is the only returning pitcher.
There is talent among the Freshmen. But that talent is untested on the collegiate level. The schedule will give some valuable experience to the team as they look to improve one position at the 2019 FCSAA State/NJCAA Region 8 tournament (the Raiders have finished 3rd the last 4 years, the top 2 qualify for the national championships in Utah). Seminole State College will again host the tournament in May (2nd - 5th) at Boombah Soldiers Creek.
The Raiders will start the season at the Juco Kick-Off Tournament on January 26th in Clearwater. They will host their own Tournament on February 23rd and 24th also at Boombah. SSC has also been invited to the prestigious NFCA (National Fastpitch Coaches Association) Lead-Off Classic in Columbus, Georgia, March 8-10th.
"With the three tournaments this will be a very challenging Spring," said Coach Miller. "The end goal is always the State Tournament, and this schedule will prepare us to hopefully make another run."
- Admission for regular season games is $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). Season Tickets are $30. All can be purchased at the gate.
- To support the softball program through a donation follow this link: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- Coach Miller won her 1,000 career game on March 17, 2018
- The 2018 team finished 52-15 (including 22-2 at home) and has won 105 games over the previous two seasons
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament May 2-5, 2019 at Boombah Soldiers Creek
- There are opportunities to sponsor or rent Seminole State Raider facilities and/or the Athletics motorcoach, for information send an email to email@example.com
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State currently sponsors five sports all members of the NJCAA. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. Kurt Esser is the current Athletic Director.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/. Fans can follow the Raider Softball team on twitter (@SeminoleStateSB) and facebook (https://www.facebook.com/seminolestatesoftball).
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, firstname.lastname@example.org