SANFORD, Florida - The week started with cold (for Florida) and rain, it ended with heat and in between, the Seminole State Women's Golf team showed the kind of grit and heart that Coach Teno loves to see. Coming off a victory in their home tournament (Tuesday and Wednesday), there was no rest as the team competed in the Bethune Cookman Lady Cat Invite on Thursday (36 holes) and Friday (18 holes).
Even without Tai Anudit, the #1 player in the NJCAA, the Raiders finished sixth out of 15 teams. Seminole State was the lone representative from the NJCAA (all 14 other teams were from four-year schools). "I held Tai out because I wanted to see who else would step up," said Teno. "I thought we responded well after a long, tough week."
Alex Giles once again led the way for SSC, finishing 18th overall at +9 (54 holes). Brigitte Clements finished +15 in a tie for 27th place. Sophia Warren placed T29 at +16 followed by Nicole Stewart (T36), +18. Maria Cowan (T43, +20) aced hole #6 in the second round on her way to a 78.
Seminole State will rest a bit before heading back to Daytona for the Babs Steffens Invitational hosted by Stetson University. The March 23-25 event will be on the Hills Course at LPGA International, site of the NJCAA National Championships.
- To support the golf team go to: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- The overall athletic department GPA during 2017-18 was 3.04
- Seminole State Golf has finished in the top 3 in the Nation for the last 6 years including 2nd in 2018
- The 2018-19 Returns three All-Americans (Tai, Karn and Sam)
- Seminole State Golf has finished in the top 3 in the Nation every year since 2009
- Both 2018 graduates, Erica Chiang (Baylor) and Alex Naumovski (Coastal Carolina) are playing at four-year programs
- Coach Christa Teno was named LPGA Coach of the Year (2018) and inducted into the NJCAA Golf Hall of Fame (May 2017)
- For sponsorship information, please email Kurt Esser, email@example.com
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/. Fans can follow the Raider Women's Golf team on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SeminoleStateWomensGolf/).
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, firstname.lastname@example.org