SANFORD, Florida – Things are slowly returning to normal in parts of the state of Florida. Included with that normalcy is the world of athletics. The Seminole State Softball and Baseball team will jump start their fall seasons this weekend as well, after having the last two weekend events cancelled.
Softball will host two travel ball teams on Saturday. The Raiders will take on the Sting at 11 a.m. and Lovett 18's at 2 p.m. All four Seminole State pitchers will be throwing 4-5 innings. Coach Miller is excited to see the new players in action, and to see how the returners step up to more prominent roles. She stated that "we are just focusing on doing the “little things” right this weekend."
Baseball will hit the road, but also playing two on Saturday. The team is participating in the JUCO Twin Classic, taking on Polk State at noon and South Florida State at 3 p.m. Both games are in Winter Haven (Lake Myrtle Park). Coach Nicholson and the Raiders are anxious to "see how we look against an outside opponent."
The key for both teams will be in how Freshmen handle themselves in first college game setting. The level of play is elevated and assimilating the newcomers is always key to success in NJCAA competition.
Of note also is some damage to the backstop of Jack Pantelias Field. In order to accomodate repairs, the home and home series with Eastern Florida has been flipped. The Raiders are now at EFSC on September 30th and at "the Jack" vs the Titans on October 13th. Here is a link to the updated fall baseball schedule:
- Admission is free to all fall (exhibition) home games, Regular season games (Spring) charge $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). Season Tickets are $30. All can be purchased at the gate.
- The 2017 Softball team finished 53-11 and Champions of the Mid-Florida Conference
- Coach Courtney Miller will begin the Spring campaign 33 wins short of 1,000
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Softball Tournament, May 3-6, 2018
- The 2017 Baseball team finished 25-25, its best record since 2013
- There are both advertising and rental opportunities at the Seminole State Raider facilities, for more information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State currently sponsors three sports all members of the NJCAA. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com