SANFORD, Florida - The #5 Raiders (7-2) split with Polk State (6-5) on a day when the bats were pretty much silent. In both games the team got outhit, but managed to come away with a split. They won the first game 5-3 and lost 5-2 in the second game.
SSC jumped out to an early 4-0 lead after three innings. Amy Lee, who had led off the inning with a walk, scored on a suicide squeeze by Chelsea Peace for the first run of the game. In the second inning, the Raiders tacked on two more runs. With bases loaded, Peace was hit by a pitch and Haley Hinz followed that with a walk to put the Raiders up 3-0. Jada Cruz scored on a wild pitch in the next inning, after she led off being hit by a pitch.
Marissa Adame kept the Eagles in check until the top of the 6th. She had a no-hitter going until the Eagles broke it up with a single to right (following a walk). Another single up the middle, scored the first run for Polk. Jenea Fedewa came in relief and got the next three batters out to end the threat.
Chelsea Peace led off the bottom of the 6th with a solo homerun to center, making it 5-1. In the top of the 7th, Fedewa got into trouble when after the first out, she gave up back to back singles. A foul fly out to rightfield left the Eagles with two outs and runners at second and third, but another single through the left side scored both runners and cut the lead to 5-3. Closer Samantha Guider shut down the rally as she struck out the final batter.
Adame (3-1) picked up the win, allowing two hits and one earned run while striking out three. Guider picked up her 2nd save of the season.
The offense only managed 4 hits, one each by Peace (HR), Haley Hinz, Payton Germer (2B), Lexi Koch.
The offense was virtually shut down by the Polk State pitcher in the second game. After lead-off singles in the first and second innings by the Raiders, Polk State sat down 15 straight batters until the bottom of the 7th. The Eagles took an early 3-0 lead, all on errors by the defense – which had committed only two errors all season up to that point. Polk added two more runs in the top of the 4th on three hits. Down 5-0, SSC tried their best to come back in the 7th. Peace led off with a walk, which was followed by a single to leftfield by Hinz and a RBI single by Chloe French. Hinz scored on a groundout to second by Breanna LaClair, but that was as close as the Raiders would get. An infield pop-up ended the game.
Gabi LoPresti (2-1) took the loss on the mound. She went 3.2 innings, allowing five runs (2 ER) on six hits and struck out two. Guider finished the game. Her line was 3.1 IP 2 hits and 2 K’s.
The offense again managed only 4 hits, all singles by Amy Lee, Hinz, and two by French.
- Softball Team Photos may be purchased here: https://www.prosportsvisuals.com/galleries/softball/seminole-state-college-118/
- Admission for regular season games is $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). Season Tickets are $30. All can be purchased at the gate.
- Limited concessions will be available at all home games. Athletics will be selling Pepsi products and candy, trail mix and crackers. All items will be $2. The Department is searching for a full time concessions partner.
- To support the softball program through a donation follow this link: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- Coach Miller won her 1,000 career game on March 17, 2018
- The 2018 team finished 52-15 (including 22-2 at home) and has won 105 games over the previous two seasons
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament May 2-5, 2019 at Boombah Soldiers Creek
- There are opportunities to sponsor or rent Seminole State Raider facilities and/or the Athletics motorcoach, for information send an email to email@example.com
About the Seminole State Raiders: The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I.
Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, firstname.lastname@example.org