SANFORD, Florida - The Raiders (19-8) won both games on the opening day of the NFCA Lead-off Classic in Columbus GA. They defeated Sinclair Community College (Ohio) 4-3 and Illinois Central Community College 4-1.
Against Sinclair (4-5), Kelsi Smith hit a two-run homerun in the bottom of the first to put the Raiders on the board first. Chloe French drove the next run in on a ground ball to second in the 3rd inning. Michelle Decker executed a perfect squeeze bunt to score Payton Germer, who hit a triple in the 4th inning as the Raiders upped their lead to 4-0.
In the top of the 6th, Sinclair’s bats came alive after being no hit thru five innings by Marissa Adame. After two singles to lead off the inning and a pop up out, the Raiders defense committed an error to load the bases. A sacrifice fly cut the lead to 4-1. The next batter hit a single up the middle to score another run. But Adame got the next batter to fly out to left and end the inning, with SSC holding on to a 4-2 lead. Gabi LoPresti took to the mound in the bottom of the 7th to close out the game, but not before Sinclair tacked on one final run, making the final score 4-3. Adame (8-3) went six innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on three hits and four strikeouts. LoPresti earned her second save of the season, while allowing one run on two hits and a strikeout.
The offense only managed 6 hits. Smith (1-1 HR 2 RBI’s), Germer (1-3 3B), Jada Cruz (1-2 2B), Chelsea Peace (2-3) and Haley Hinz (1-3) collected the hits.
In their second game of the day, the Raiders faced a tough Illinois Central team (3-3) who last year finished 4th at the NJCAA D2 National Tournament. But they ran up against a tough Raider defense and pitcher Samantha Guider (3-2) who only allowed one run on three hits in the complete game performance. Guider walked the lead-off batter in the 3rd inning and a triple brought home the Cougars only run of the game in the 4-1 victory.
SSC took a 1-0 lead in the second. Chloe French led off with a double and after two strikeouts, Payton Germer roped a single through the middle to score French Two more runs crossed the plate in the 4th for the Raiders as they took a 3-1 lead. With two outs, Jada Cruz hit a double to right center, and Germer again followed with an RBI single. Germer then scored on Taylor Langworthy’s single to left to give the Raiders a 3-1 lead. Seminole would add their final run in the top of the 6th. Cruz drew a lead-off walk and pinch runner Indya Bevins stoke second. She would later score on a sacrifice fly by Langworthy.
The offense was led by Germer(2-3 RBI), Langworthy (1-2, 2RBI’s), and Cruz (1-2 2B).
- Softball Team Photos may be purchased here: https://www.prosportsvisuals.com/galleries/softball/seminole-state-college-118/
- Admission for regular season games is $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). Season Tickets are $30. All can be purchased at the gate.
- Limited concessions will be available at all home games. Athletics will be selling Pepsi products and candy, trail mix and crackers. All items will be $2. The Department is searching for a full time concessions partner.
- To support the softball program through a donation follow this link: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- Coach Miller won her 1,000 career game on March 17, 2018
- The 2018 team finished 52-15 (including 22-2 at home) and has won 105 games over the previous two seasons
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament May 2-5, 2019 at Boombah Soldiers Creek
- There are opportunities to sponsor or rent Seminole State Raider facilities and/or the Athletics motorcoach, for information send an email to email@example.com
About the Seminole State Raiders: The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I.
Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, firstname.lastname@example.org