SANFORD, Florida - Every team has them, a game when nothing goes right and the other team capitalizes. For the Raiders, it was opening day vs. Northwest Florida. But today, it was Polk State that had the off day and Seminole State did almost everything right.
Kelyn Fox (2-0) got his first start of the season and picked up the win. The left hander from Bartow High School gave up a run in the first, then shut down the Eagles over the next four innings. Fox struck out four and surrendered one walk and one additional run. Chris Macca mopped up the last two innings in hitless relief.
The offensive story could mention about every Raider. Joe Sostre got things started with a three-run home run in the bottom of the second. He finished the day with three RBI. Tim Dixon also had a round-tripper and three RBI. Brock Howard put the game out of reach with a two-run triple in the bottom of the fourth and finished the game 3 for 4, 3 RBI and a stolen base.
Seminole State hits the road for two (at Polk on Wednesday at 6 p.m. - Josh Hancock and at Indian River on Friday at 1 p.m.) then a home doubleheader with ASA Miami.
- Admission for regular season games is $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). A new combined (with Softball) season ticket is $30. All can be purchased at the gate.
- Mike Christopoulos, Valdosta State and Austin Hurwitz, North Florida have already committed to four-year programs
- The Jazzy Dog Cafe will be providing concessions this season
- To support the Baseball Program through a donation please visit: http://app.eteamsponsor.com/ETS/supportUs/42943869
- The 2017 team finished 25-25, its best record since 2013
- There are opportunities to rent Seminole State Raider facilities, send an email to email@example.com
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State currently sponsors three sports all members of the NJCAA. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. Kurt Esser is the current Athletic Director.