SANFORD, Florida - With the upcoming start of the brutal Mid-Florida Conference on Saturday, the #3 (FCSAA) Raider Baseball team put some of the last touches on the non-conference season. There are still some bye-week games, and Seminole State faces the Thomas University JV team in a doubleheader on Wednesday, but SSC stands at 16-4 and is playing some its best baseball.
During the doubleheader sweep of #10 (FCSAA) Palm Beach State, the Raiders used dominant pitching and timely hitting to win 6-2 and 5-1 (both games 7 innings). Louis Davenport (3-0) pitched all seven, surrendering a run in the first and another in the seventh, scattering seven hits and striking out 8. Game two was a similar result for Jakob Barker (1-1) who picked up his first win of the year (Khalil Wilson collected his third save). Barker allowed six hits, striking out five and walking three.
On the offensive side Alejandro Figueredo, Jake Zarrello, Edward Surinach, Justin Holmes, Kenny Rodriguez all hit homeruns on the day. Justin Holmes (2), Alejandro Figueredo (3), Kenny Rodriguez (2), Travis Sankovich, Corey King, Jake Zarrello, and Edward Surinach all knocked in runs.
The Raider defense had just one error over the 14 innings.
On Friday, Seminole State gave the visiting St. Pete Titans a five run lead after one. Starter Haden Erbe (4-0) then settled down and the Raider bats began to chip away at the deficit. SSC picked up two in the second, fourth and fifth and added the winning margin in the sixth. Justin Holmes (2), Corey King, Kenny Rodriguez (2), Edward Surinach and Travis Sankovich all added to their RBI totals.
After Wednesday's doubleheader, which is set to be streamed through this site, Seminole will travel to Ocala on Saturday to open the Mid-Florida Conference at perennial power College of Central Florida (1 p.m.).
- Baseball Photos may be purchased here: https://www.prosportsvisuals.com/galleries/baseball/seminole-state-college/
- Limited concessions will be available at all home games. Athletics will be selling Pepsi products and candy, trail mix and crackers. All items will be $2. The Department is searching for a full time concessions partner.
- To donate to Raider Athletics go to: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- There are both advertising and rental opportunities at the Seminole State Raider facilities, for more information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The overall athletic department GPA during the Fall 2018 semester was 3.07
- The 2018 Baseball team finished 24-26 including a 17-12 record at home
About the Seminole State Raiders: The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I.
Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com