LONGWOOD, Florida - The #16 (nationally) ranked Raiders (50-11) upset #7 ranked Indian River State College (44-13) 6-3 in the first round of the FCSAA State Softball Tournament. SSC jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first. After a 2 out walk to Chelsea Peace, Kelsi Smith drove a ball to deep center for a 2 run homerun. The Raiders defense and starting pitcher Kyra Gipson, worked out of a bases loaded jam in the bottom of the 2nd inning. In the top of the 3rd, SSC opened up a 4-0 lead. Peace led off with a walk and after a Smith single, Haley Hinz hit a double over the ceterfielder’s head, plating both runners. But the River got on the board in the bottom of the inning. With 2 outs and a runners at first and second, a single to right cut the lead to 4-1. The batter hit a line drive to center which was initially snagged by the Raiders but then dropped, allowing 2 more runs to score. An infield error and walk loaded the bases up again, but Gipson got the final out on a soft liner to second and end the inning, with the Raiders still on top 4-3.
The score stayed that way until the top of the 5th when SCC pushed across 2 more runs. Kasey Trickey led off with a double to right. Peace hit a fly to right for the first out. Smith then reached on an error by the shortstop and after a Hinz walk the bases were loaded with just one out. Kiana East drove in a run with a sharp single up the middle and Gipson followed with a sacrifice fly to make the score 6-3. East, who had relieved Gipson in the top of the 4th, retired the final 6 batters for the River and the Raiders came away with the 6-3 win.
East (16-3) picked up the win, going 4 innings and allowing 0 runs on 1 hit. Gipson’s line was 3 IP, 3 hits and 3 runs ( 1 ER).
The offense was led by Smith (2-3, HR 2 RBI’s), Hinz (2-3, 2B, 2 RBI’s) and East ( 2-4, RBI).
- Admission for the FCSAA State/NJCAA Region 8 Tournament is $10 for Adults, $5 for Youth (12&Under) per day. Tournament passes are $20 and $10 respectively. Tickets can be purchased online: https://www.athleticjunctionevents.com/seminole-state-raiders-softball
- To support the softball program through a donation follow this link: http://app.eteamsponsor.com/ETS/supportUs/45511532
- The Jazzy Dog Cafe is the concessions partner for Seminole State Athletics
- The 2018 team is 50-13 and has won 102 games over the previous two seasons
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament May 3-6, 2018
- There are opportunities to sponsor or rent Seminole State Raider facilities, for information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State currently sponsors five sports all members of the NJCAA. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus. Kurt Esser is the current Athletic Director.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/. Fans can follow the Raider Softball team on twitter (@SeminoleStateSB) and facebook (https://www.facebook.com/seminolestatesoftball).
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com