SANFORD, Florida - When a young person becomes a Raider Student-Athlete, they join the Seminole State College family. That family pulls together to help all the Raiders prepare for their next steps in life. During the two plus days of Welcome Back Orientation, over 25 Seminole State Administrators, Staff, Faculty and Students helped the new and returning Raider Student-Athletes prep for a year in the classroom as well as in the competitive arena. The various sessions were designed to give the Raiders information and also have a little fun.
Associate Vice President, Dr. Jan Lloyd kicked things off last Wednesday (August 15) evening at the opening BBQ, welcoming the teams and outlining future projects for the College. Dr. Wes Hohman (Team Chiropracter, below) and his staff closed the jam packed 48-hours with an interactive cooking class. In between, new SSC President Dr. Georgia Lorenz, Student Government Association (SGA) President, Shayan Khan and Vice President, Dr. Dick Hamann all spent time welcoming the Raiders. Issues on personal finance, mental wellbeing and social media were all reviewed. A high-spirited presentation by motivational speaker, Pernell Bush may have been the highlight for many.
Director of Athletics, Kurt Esser, noted that the time together can be long and a bit exhausting. "This is a first impression for half of our kids," said Esser. "They won't remember everything, but at least they know there is a lot of people on their team who are willing to help. I enjoy getting to know the kids, especially seeing their competitive nature during Raider Jeopardy! We are all "building Raiders."
- Head Softball Coach Miller won her 1,000 career game on March 17, 2018
- The 2018 team finished 52-15 (including 22-2 at home) and has won 105 games over the previous two seasons
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament May 2-5, 2019 at Boombah Soldiers Creek
- The 2018 Baseball team finished 24-26
- The 2018 Women's Golf team finished 2nd at the NJCAA Championships in Mesa, AZ and returns Three All-Americans for 2018-19.
- Seminole State Golf has finished in the top 3 in the Nation for the last 7 years
- To donate to the Building Raiders Fund, go to https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- There are both advertising and rental opportunities at the Seminole State Raider facilities, for more information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com