SANFORD, Florida - Many college students spent their last weekend before classes catching up on sleep or getting prepared for the trip back to campus. The Seminole State Softball team got up early and scrimmaged the Seminole County Warriors Special Olympics team on Saturday morning.
This is the third year this scrimmage has taken place. A big reason for that continued involvement has been the Lienard family. Scott Lienard is the Public Address Announcer for Raider Softball and a member of the Warriors. Kevin and Lisa are Scott's parents and they help organize the county games. Kevin and Lisa also spend a good amount of their time at Raider Softball games assisting Scott in his duties.
Kevin noted, "I wanted to thank Seminole State for their continued involvement with Seminole County Special Olympics. The Raiders were awesome! Their presence really gives our County games a big game feel. Fans and parents already know this, but it is clear that SSC not only recruits excellent athletes, but also recruits athletes of great character."
Another interesting note is the number of Softball parents and Softball Alumni parents who came out to support both teams. Athletic Director, Kurt Esser added, "So great seeing the parents of our Student-Athletes here. Also, I hope we can continue to grow our involvement with Special Olympics as the 2022 games draw near. I truly believe, we get more out of these days than the Olympians do."
- 13 Raider Student-Athletes were Academic All-NJCAA in 2018-19
- Coach Christa Teno was named LPGA Coach of the Year (2018) and inducted into the NJCAA Golf Hall of Fame (May 2017)
- Seminole State and Seminole County will host the 2022 NJCAA Women's Golf National Championship at Timacuan Golf Club.
- Coach Ocky Clark is in his second year as Head Coach of the Cross Country program for Seminole State College
- Coach Miller won her 1,000 career Softball game on March 17, 2018. The program is three games shy of 1,000 wins.
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Tournament May 8-11, 2020 at Boombah Soldiers Creek
- All 12 of the Sophomores from the 2018-19 baseball team signed with 4-year Universities
- Sponsorship and facility rental opportunities are available, for information send an email to email@example.com
- Admission is free for fall games. For regular season games (Spring) admission is $5 for Adults, $3 for Youth (12&Under). Season Tickets are $30
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, firstname.lastname@example.org