SANFORD, Florida - In the middle of the third inning, Foundation Chief John Gyllin asked if the game could be lengthened to seven innings instead of the planned five. Perhaps that was because John's Blue team was trailing, but more than anything else, everyone was having a great time.
There was a fair amount of smack talk going on, but in the end the Gold team prevailed 11-7.
The Gold team was comprised of Jaime Magnetico (Captain), Geoff Nelson, Joe Huston, Geraldine Perez, Brian Castellanos, Hector Dietsch, Stephanie Birnbaum, Tod Benedict and Manny Pereyra-Fuentes and the Coach was Seminole State Baseball Coach, Mike Nicholson. The second-place Blue team included Michael McConville (Captain), John Gyllin, Michael Pentz, Lauren May, Marshall Bryant, Tyler Berkich, Edwin Dominguez, Jacqueline Boyce and Biz Weis. Raider Softball Coach Courtney Miller was the skipper for the Blue team.
The game was part of the second annual Raiders are Readers program. The week-long initiative is designed to promote reading through sports and sports media. In addition to the game, there were two panel discussions, one devoted to E-Sports, the other highlighting wellness. Daily acitivities included sports related movies and documentaries. The week wrapped up with an amazing race throughout campus which featured a trip through the library and several stops that tested the particpants brain as well as their body. Seminole State Student Alberto Sanchez won this year's race and will enjoy a couple of tickets to one of the Bowl games at Camping World Stadium.
- The 2017 Softball team finished 53-11 and Champions of the Mid-Florida Conference
- Coach Courtney Miller will begin the Spring campaign 33 wins short of 1,000
- Seminole State will serve as host of the NJCAA Region 8 Softball Tournament, May 3-6, 2018
- The 2017 Baseball team finished 25-25, its best record since 2013
- The 2017 Women's Golf team finished 2nd at the NJCAA Championships in Duluth, GA
- Seminole State Golf has finished in the top 3 in the Nation for the last 6 years
- There are both sponsorship and rental opportunities at the Seminole State Raider facilities, for more information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State currently sponsors three sports all members of the NJCAA. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com