JACKSONVILLE, Florida - The Raiders stepped up their performances at the UNF XC Invitational. The strength of the field was also significantly higher as well. Six of the 10 teams on the women's side were four-year schools, five of them NCAA Division I. The men's side was basically the same (minus one NAIA school).
The women's team finished 9th out of 10 teams running the 3k event. Jaina Hawkins again led the Raiders finishing 36th overall and 7th in the crowded NJCAA field (12:30.01). Sara Kopack 38th (12:37.39), Abby Orlando 48th (13:41.11), Fancy Cheruyot 53rd (14:29.47) and Jaimee Leduc 56th (14:57.20) also paced Seminole State, out of the 60 scoring runners (105 overall).
On the men's side, Yassin Raffay and Hillary Kandie were tops for SSC. This time Kandie (15th, 16:06.12) was the top Raider, edging Raffay (16th, 16:10.73) in this 5K event. The nearest NJCAA runner was 37th from Tallahassee, a minute behind the Raiders. Amari Douglas finished 67th (out of 79 overall) with a time of 19:24.36. Kandie and Raffay would be on the Florida Gators top 7 roster.
The teams travel to Daytona next Saturday (September 15) for the Embry-Riddle Invitational.
- Coach Ocky Clark is in his first year as Head Coach of the Cross Country program for Seminole State College
- To donate to the Cross Country team or Raider Athletics go to: https://tkt.xosn.com//donor/DonorProfile.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=34200&DB_OEM_ID=34200
- There are both advertising and rental opportunities at the Seminole State Raider facilities, for more information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The overall athletic department GPA during 2017-18 was 3.04
- The 2018 Softball team finished 52-15 and has won 105 games over the last two years
- Coach Courtney Miller won her 1,000 game during the 2018 season
- Seminole State is hosting the NJCAA Region 8 Softball Tournament, May 2-5, 2019
- Seminole State Golf has finished in the top 3 in the Nation for the last 6 years including 2nd in 2018
- The 2018 Baseball team finished 24-26 including a 17-12 record at home
About the Seminole State Raiders:
The Raider Athletics Department of Seminole State College was established in 1965 and initially led by Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Joe Sterling. Seminole State now sponsors five sports all competing in the NJCAA Division I. Both Baseball and Softball facilities are located on College Drive on the Sanford/Lake Mary Campus.
For more about Raider Athletics, visit SeminoleStateRaiders.com, follow us on Twitter: @buildingRaiders and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/buildingRaiders/.
Media contact: Kurt Esser, Director of Athletics, 407.708.2092, email@example.com